- The Art of the Drug Deal | True Story | OZY
- The Cure for Corporate Wrongdoing: Class Actions vs. Individual Prosecutions by Jed S. Rakoff | The New York Review of Books
- From newyorker.com: Where’s Chang?
- From newyorker.com: Covering the Cops
- From newyorker.com: Trouble in Lakewood
- From newyorker.com: The Fourth State of Matter
- From newyorker.com: A Cold Case
- From newyorker.com: A Loaded Gun
- From newyorker.com: Mysterious Circumstances
- Neanderthal genes are everywhere | Why Evolution Is True
- From newyorker.com: No Normal
- From newyorker.com: Who Can Be Finished With Alice?
- Insect evolution: Current Biology
- How life shaped Earth: Current Biology
- The tree view of life: Current Biology
- A Critic’s Critic Quits His Day Job – The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Animals return to Chernobyl, thrive without humans
- What elephants can teach scientists about fighting cancer in humans – LA Times
- Anti-vaxxers fund studies proving that vaccines are safe! | Why Evolution Is True
- Steps Reef Lovers Can Take as U.S. Warns of Global Coral Bleaching Event – NYTimes.com
- What Exxon knew about the Earth’s melting Arctic – Los Angeles Times
- Police withhold body camera videos despite vows of transparency | The Washington Post
- Shooting a Lion – NYTimes.com
- Amy Berg Is Seriously Worried About What Warren Jeffs Might Do Next | Vanity Fair
- From newyorker.com: The Question at the Heart of “The Good Wife”
- From newyorker.com: What Made Suzy Run
- Denis Mukwege deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in Congo
- Blue skies over Pluto and a lakeside home on Mars
- How African honey bees can help mitigate global colony losses
- From newyorker.com: The Video Store as Film School
- India’s Attack on Free Speech – NYTimes.com
- The NRA’s favorite myth, demolished: Australia debunks the right-wing narrative that smarter gun pol icy can’t make a difference – Salon.com
- Ellen Page Goes Off-Script – NYTimes.com
- ‘Portraits: John Berger on Artists’, by John Berger – FT.com
- Feeling into Action | Boston Review
- Article: Why Are Little Kids in Japan So Independent?
- Article: Pitchfork Essentials: Astral Traveling: The Ecstasy of Spiritual Jazz
- MuckRock • “He has been quite helpful.” Walt Disney’s FBI file
- From newyorker.com: Ben Carson’s Scientific Ignorance
- The Search for Blind Lemon
- The Blackmail Caucus, a.k.a. the Republican Party – NYTimes.com
- Inside the Medical Marijuana Industry’s Wild New Frontier | The New Republic
- From newyorker.com: The Antique Sport of Real Tennis, and the Woman Who Dominates It
- How could VW be so dumb? Blame the unethical culture endemic in business on The Conversation
- Antibiotic overuse might be why so many people have allergies
- A Killer Hiding on the Appalachian Trail? – The Daily Beast
- A Pryor Love – The New Yorker
- How an 18th-Century Philosopher Helped Solve My Midlife Crisis
- From newyorker.com: Bobby Fischer and the Difficulty of Making Movies About Geniuses
- From newyorker.com: An Unfinished Prison Story
- From newyorker.com: Blood and Soil
- Why the Rich Are So Much Richer by James Surowiecki | The New York Review of Books
- The Atlantic: A Year in Cuba
- Britain’s Mafia State | George Monbiot
- A historian thinks he’s pinpointed the oldest known use of the f-word – Quartz
- Smartphones Bring Happiness And Headaches To Myanmar : Goats and Soda : NPR
- Documenting Child Marriage for Over a Decade—and Still Going | PROOF
- The More I Learn About Breast Milk, the More Amazed I Am – Features – The Stranger
- Debtor’s Prisons
- ‘I’m Just Happy to Be Alive’ | The Marshall Project
- The dangerous idea that life is a story – Galen Strawson – Aeon
- Found this post for you on Tumblr
- Ursula K. Le Guin – Page – Interview Magazine
- 14 Years After 9/11, the War on Terror Is Accomplishing Everything bin Laden Hoped It Would
- Article: The Prophet of Paranoia
- Article: Dr. Shock
- From newyorker.com: How Chuck Schumer Lost on Iran
- The Secret to Getting Top-Secret Secrets — Matter — Medium
- Slipping Away | Maclean’s Magazine
- Watch the 1991 Documentary Donald Trump Didn’t Want Anyone to See | Alternet
- Back to School in New Orleans — Bright — Medium
- Retirement is good for you, says German study
- The Lineup | Alcatraz: Explore America’s Most Famous Prison
- ‘I Reviewed Jail on Yelp Because I Couldn’t Afford a Therapist.’ (The Marshall Project)
- Sperm whales learn local dialects – new study is yet more proof that animals have culture on The Con versation
- From newyorker.com: All Scientists Should Be Militant Atheists
- Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
- Why are scientists sending a starfish-killing robot to the Great Barrier Reef? – CSMonitor.com
- Invented Traditions: No, Christianity doesn’t forbid Abortion | Informed Comment
- What Goes On — Medium
- Israel’s Favorite Palestinian Moves to Illinois – The New Yorker
- Focusing in on arthropods of the West — High Country News
- Whatsoever Things Are True — The Atavist Magazine
- Europe’s refugee crisis shenanigans – time for a reality check! | This, too, is Africa
- Students’ return to school is marred by renewed segregation across US | Education | The Guardian
- The marine toad | Why Evolution Is True
- Small government is bad for your pursuit of happiness
- Scientists develop blood test that estimates how quickly people age – and their risk of Alzheimer’s – Health News – Health & Families – The Independent
- Jailed at 17 for a drug crime in 1988, Rick Wershe Jr is still behind bars. Why? | US news | The Guardian
- Import wolves to Michigan’s Isle Royale ‘as soon as possible,’ says biologist | MLive.com
- Go Hike the Mendenhall Ice Cave Before It Melts — STARTUPS + WANDERLUST + LIFE HACKING — Medium
- The Neon Museum of Las Vegas | Amusing Planet
- The Franzen of It All: ‘Purity’ and the Great American Novelist «
- Pachyderm politics | TLS
- From newyorker.com: What Happens to Former ISIS Fighters?
- The believer: How an introvert became the leader of the Islamic State | Brookings Institution
- Why Elephants Don’t Explode: How Nature Solves Bigness
- Light at the end of the scalpel | Mosaic
- Welcome to Beautiful Parkersburg, West Virginia – The Huffington Post
- The Dark Side Of Jesus People USA, America’s Most Influential Christian Movement – BuzzFeed News
- North Carolina brothers to receive $750,000 each for wrongful convictions | US news | The Guardian
- Jamycheal Mitchell died in jail: Mentally ill man stole snacks and was denied bail.
- Swimming upstream: plight of Delta smelt exposes flaws of the Endangered Species Act
- Lots of Trees to Hug: Study Counts 3 Trillion Trees on Earth – NYTimes.com
- A gynandromorph moth comes to the light – and tells a story about science | Why Evolution Is True
- From newyorker.com: The Witches of Salem
- Books of Jewish Beauty by Sara Lipton | The Gallery | The New York Review of Books
- The Victory of Oliver Sacks by Jerome Groopman | The New York Review of Books
- Urge by Oliver Sacks | The New York Review of Books
- ‘Sociopath’ neurosurgeon accused of intentionally botching operations – The Washington Post
- Can India Ever Beat Rabies? – Digg
- From newyorker.com: Extraordinary Exile
- From newyorker.com: Coverup—I
- New Orleans’ beautiful complexity was the one thing Katrina didn’t wash away | Amber Qureshi | Comment is free | The Guardian
- NYTimes.com: The Creative Apocalypse That Wasn’t
- Slow Poison – Pacific Standard
- The City Game? – The New Yorker
- The Missing History of Ravensbrück, The Nazi Concentration Camp for Women : Longreads Blog
- The history of British slave ownership has been buried: now its scale can be revealed | World news | The Guardian
- Why can’t we stop cholera in Haiti? | Mosaic
- The Hard Truths of Ta-Nehisi Coates — NYMag
- The Independent Mothers of Iceland – The New Yorker
- El Chapo Escapes Again – The New Yorker
- Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet: Evidence
- Free Yourself from the Cult of Marlon Brando – The New Yorker
- Why Norway’s prison system is so successful – Business Insider
- On Cooling the Mark Out*
- Meet the Explorer Who’s Trying to Save Africa’s Last Remaining Wetland Wilderness — TED Fellows — Medium
- Ten Stupid Things Theists Say
- Bees Are Literally Worrying Themselves to Death — NYMag
- Inside the Power Plant Fueling America’s Drought: Navajo Generating Station – Killing the Colorado – ProPublica
- Donald Trump 2016: Campaigning for Great SNL Skits | National Review Online
- Naomi Oreskes, a Lightning Rod in a Changing Climate – The New York Times
- Money, Dogs, and Diligence: How to Catch an Escaped Prisoner | The Marshall Project
- The “Game of Thrones” Season Finale: Winter Is Here – The New Yorker
- Supreme Court shuts down Scott Walker: Today’s ultrasound decision is a big defeat for anti-choice w arriors – Salon.com
- Three Simple Rules for Eating Seafood – NYTimes.com
- The only safe thing to talk about in Eritrea is Football
- Rare, Centuries-Old New Mexico Sheep Breed Back From The Brink – Modern Farmer
- How my father gave me a terrifying lesson at 10 – BBC News
- Police Body Cameras Can’t Replace Camera Phones | Boston Review
- ‘The Game Done Changed’: Reconsidering ‘The Wire’ Amidst the Baltimore Upris ing | The Nation
- Chicago Is About to Offer the Nation’s First Reparations Program for Victims of Police Violence | Th e Nation
- What Racism Has Done to Baltimore – The New Yorker
- How to Stop Mass Incarceration – The New Yorker
- The Untapped Potential of Wasted Food – The New Yorker
- Charted: How history’s most creative people organized their days – The Washington Post
Daily Archives: August 6, 2012
Originally posted on Why Evolution Is True:
Open Season on Dawkins is in full swing, and Friday’s Catholic Herald takes a potshot at the quarry in a piece by Father Alexander Lucie-Smith, “The tragedy at the heart of New Atheism.”…
The hand-held camera you have to have – Salon.com.
GOP insider: Religion destroyed my party – Salon.com.
Rashida Jones: “I’m the town slut” – Salon.com.
Mars Rover Should Not Get So Much Attention, Say Higgs-Boson Scientists : The New Yorker.
Hospital Chain Inquiry Cited Unnecessary Cardiac Work – NYTimes.com.
Terms of Service in New York Restaurants – NYTimes.com.
Sci-Fi writers of the past predict life in 2012.
Boy Scout files reveal repeat child abuse by sexual predators – latimes.com.
Adam Gopnik: Mormonism’s History and Meanings : The New Yorker.
DVD of the Week: Nicholas Ray’s “Johnny Guitar” : The New Yorker.
Confessions of a Hypochondriac : The New Yorker.
The last brigadier – Page 1 – News – Seattle – Seattle Weekly.
Letters of Note: Why Explore Space?.
Check out this video on YouTube:
Alan Turing’s Reading List: What the Computing Pioneer Borrowed From His School Library | Brain Pickings
Alan Turing’s Reading List: What the Computing Pioneer Borrowed From His School Library | Brain Pickings.
Carl Sagan’s Reading List | Brain Pickings.
Henry Miller on Reading, Influence, and What’s Wrong with Education | Brain Pickings.
Susan Sontag on Love: Illustrated Diary Excerpts | Brain Pickings.
GOP Voter Suppression, Veterans Edition | ThinkProgress.
How vested interests defeated climate science A Dark Victory | Robert Manne | The Monthly.
NASA’s Car-Sized Curiosity Rover Lands on Mars.
Check out this video on YouTube: